Part of my Create Calm Life Model is the regular practice of a morning ritual. If you don't already have a morning ritual, I highly recommend you create your own.
The real importance of the morning ritual is that it sets the tone and energy for your day. It gives you the space to pause, set intentions, and move forward into your day with clarity and grace. It grounds you into the heart of your own center- your own energy field- so that you can be awake, aware, and effective in all of your activities for that day.
Now, before you dismiss this with, "I don't have time for this", let me show you how you can create your own morning ritual with as little as 5 minutes. This morning ritual can be adjusted to fit the amount of time you have on any given day.
5 Steps To Creating a Morning Ritual
1. Be Physical- if time allows, do some physical activity. This helps to wake you up and ground you into the present moment. I often do my exercise later in the day, so I will usually just do 10 squats or a couple of stretches. But if you normally workout in the morning, go ahead and do that first.
2. Release the Dream Space- As you awaken and ready yourself to begin a new day, it is important to release the energy from your dream space. STANDING FACING EAST, take 5 deep breaths as you affirm, "I now release any energy from my dream space as I welcome this new day."
3. Sacred Space- It is important to set your sacred space for each day to align you with your earth and spiritual connections. It further helps you to access your own inner wisdom and guidance as it unfolds in each moment of your day. To learn a simple process for setting your sacred space, click here. While my audio file can be used as a guide, work toward learning the process so you can do it yourself.
4. Meditation/Prayer- After setting your sacred space, take a few moments of silence and breathing. You may like to use a drop of pure essential oil on your palms and breathe that in several times (I use frankincense or a "morning" blend that wakes me up). This is the time when I pray for any particular events coming up for that day and hold light for any situations where I need extra support and guidance. This is also the time for your writing, if you use a journal.
5. Affirm & Begin- Lastly, repeat any affirmation(s) you are currently working with. It might be a Bible verse or a word or phrase that is relevant and supportive for you. In my practices, there are a series of 10 spiritual laws that I work with. I am only working with one of these at a time, whichever one I need. So, for example, I would affirm the one I am working with, "The Steps Must Be Guided From Within", quietly to myself. Now I am ready to begin my day!
On busy days, my morning ritual takes between 5-10 minutes. Sometimes I will only spend a couple of minutes in meditation, other times (say, on weekends or days I am not teaching early) I will spend more time in meditation. Sometimes I do 30 minutes of exercise as a first step, other days I only do 1 minute. So you can adjust the steps as it feels right for you.
It's that simple! The morning ritual is an important way to help us be more mindful, calm, effective, and successful in our days. You can use these 5 easy steps to create your very own morning ritual that works with your life and schedule. Do you have a morning ritual of your own? I'd love to hear any practices you have that you find beneficial!
Want to learn more about how to create a calmer more balanced life? Sign up for one of my "How To Calm An Anxious Mind" events. To learn more, click here.
I am a wellness educator and trainer who is passionate about helping others to look, feel, and be their best in body, mind, and heart. Thanks for visiting my blog!